IGCSE Chemistry

Saturday, January 12, 2019

2.61 understand how adaptations of red blood cells make them suitable for the transport of oxygen, including shape, the absence of a nucleus and the presence of haemoglobin

Red blood cells: transports oxygen from lungs to respiring cells for Aerobic respiration.

 Red Blood Cell Adaptations:

Hemoglobin:
-RBCs contain hemoglobin to allow the cell to transport oxygen.
-hemoglobin: a red protein responsible for transporting oxygen.

 No nucleus:
-no nucleus to have more hemoglobin, which allows more oxygen to be transported.

Small and flexible:
-allows the RBC to squeeze through narrow blood vessels and capillaries.

Thin cell membrane:
-short diffusion distance, allowing efficient rate of diffusion of oxygen

Biconcave:
-RBCs have a biconcave (flattened disc) shape to increase surface area to volume ratio for efficient rate of diffusion of oxygen.

5 comments:

  1. This website is really useful. It is helping me prepare for my GCSEs in year 10. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im so glad you found it helpful! best of luck in your gcses :)

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing resource! Thanks so much for making it, I'm going to tell people about it. Thank you!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good blog and it is really helping me with my GCSE's. I have told my friends about your blog!

    ReplyDelete